Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old Shutter~NEW SHUTTER



What would you do with an old shutter destined for the trash heap?

 WAIT! You can do something with that !

  Cottage Style!

The eating area area in our cottage is tiny... cozy for 4 and not one more  tiny, but it's charming with three large windows that let the morning sun pour in during breakfast! I like using large pieces of art and furniture in small spaces when I decorate. To my eye, they make more of an impact than several small things hung together. That's just me!

THE PROJECT:  The green shutter was used to cover the windows for protection from storms during the off season.
 When I saw the shutter my artistic side wanted to find a new way to use it and my sentimental side just couldn't part with it! So........after a bit of daydreaming, I came up with the idea that we could place a small mirror that " looked like a window" and attach it to the shutter! Off I went to a local BIG BOX store to find an inexpensive mirror, then to the craft store for off white and green craft paint and some CRACKLE MEDIUM.

CRACKLE TIP: when using crackle, think about what color you want to see peaking through from underneath your top coat. It will depend on your project if you are going with a dark or lighter base coat.

I painted the base coat on the NEW mirror frame with green paint and let it dry, followed by the crackle medium, allowing for the correct drying time before applying the off white top coat. The green peaks through the white top coat from behind the crackle and makes it look as if the added mirror has always been a part of the shutter!  



           Splatters of old white paint tie in the old with the new.


       Now we have a " Piece " of  cottage past  ( and it's even painted GREEN ) adorning the wall and more sunlight bouncing around our cozy kitchen in the morning!



   This was an easy and fun GREEN project! 


What have you re-purposed lately?




This post is linked to Funky Junk Themed Linky Party!

Deborah Jean~



10 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

That's a FABULOUS idea, and so GORGEOUS! Thank you for commenting on my blog today! You've got a fabulous blog - and I'll be back!

Unknown said...

Nice job. I love crackle finish. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Michelle
from Trash to Treasure Decorating

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Thanks for stopping by "In His Grip", I would love you to run my project on your site. Let me know if you do that and I can post about your blog as well. Love your blog and will definately be back often.

Victoria said...

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

Julia said...

What a great project!!! Love how it turned out! I have to new rooms upstairs to decorate, hmmm, a rustic mirror, might be the thing.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments! I'll have another project up for my CRBC Tuesday!

Until then,
Dandelion Wishes!

Deb~

marcia said...

Great project! I have an old tall shutter that I cannot part with. It was going to be the door on the alcove of shelves in the bathroom but I'm not sure I want that. I hung fabric instead.

I have a few more ideas but haven't motivated yet. Fun challenge! I'll play.

I creatively recycled an old dresser
http://www.childinharmony.com/2010/04/dress-up-dresser.html

happy day
~marcia

Anonymous said...

You have some great stuff that would look great in some of our cabins. I love the cottage-y look.

Thanks! You're very creative.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is so darn cute...awesome idea you had here!

Blessings,
Linda

Jodie said...

Love your blog, it is darling! I saw Mary Jane in your side bar. I had the honor of meeting her a few years ago when she spoke at a luncheon we had for her at my sister-in-laws house while she was doing her book tour. She is an amazing woman! I am joining as a follower. Would love to have you stop by my blog sometime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...