Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Take Time to Smell the Roses

                


Sea Rose
by Hilda Doolittle

Rose, harsh rose,
marred and with stint of petals,
meagre flower, thin,
sparse of leaf,

more precious
than a wet rose
single on a stem --
you are caught in the drift.


Stunted, with small leaf,
you are flung on the sand,
you are lifted
in the crisp sand
that drives in the wind.

Can the spice-rose
drip such acrid fragrance
hardened in a leaf?

All along the coastlines of New England the ( wild )  Beach Roses are beginning to bloom and will be at full peek by mid June.


Here they are growing wild along the shores of Duxbury Beach.


             There's nothing sweeter than the sight and smell of thousands of roses at once in bloom.


And no greater reminder to take time to stop and smell the roses...


You'll just feel better, I promise!
Deborah Jean

4 comments:

Julia said...

Beautiful!!! I have always loved these kind of roses. Here we call them just 'wild' or 'scrub' roses. I think I like beach roses much better!

Victoria said...

I have never herd of beach roses before- and I have been to New-England many times. How beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Debs - thanks for the beautiful pictures...I can almost smell the roses. I love the poem. Wish I was there. So beautiful.
Aunt Retts

marcia said...

Ooohh lovely! We have those roses by our pond. LOVE them!

We use the petals to make sachets, dream pillows and bookmarks.

happy day!
~marcia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...