Sunday, July 24, 2011

Strawberry, Blueberry, Rhubarb Pie~ Oh My!




Cake or Pie? 
I recently read that this is the year of the Pie. My husband would choose pie over cake any day of the week so I've taken to trying my hand at baking some of his favorites from scratch. I LOVE fresh fruit pie anytime of year especially in Summer! 
I'll confess that I'm a rookie pie baker. I used to buy frozen fruit pie but I've since learned how easy it is to make them myself and I ( we ) don't miss the frozen ones AT ALL.! I started with plain Rhubarb, ( hubby's favorite ) and when I got a thumbs up from the family, I graduated to Strawberry/Rhubarb pie, Peach Pie and my personal favorite, Blueberry Pie. 



 Today I had some fresh rhubarb, strawberries and blueberries that needed using up so I decided to mix them all up and bake a 
Sunday Summer Pie 
~ recipe ~

2 cups rhubarb chopped in once inch pieces
2 cups cut fresh strawberries ( a little over ripe is o.k. )
one cup fresh blueberries 
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup KRAFT Minute Tapioca
Pastry for Double- Crust Pie
(  I use the rolled Pillsbury Pie Crust ) 
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

 Chop rhubarb into one inch bit-size pieces and place in large mixing bowl. Rinse and drain blueberries and strawberries. Slice strawberries thinly and add all berries to the chopped rhubarb. 
Stir together sugar, Minute Tapioca and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Add sugar mixture to fruit and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Fill a pastry lined 9 inch pie plate with fruit mixture. Dot with small pieces of butter.  
Add your top crust and adjust. You can make small blueberries from left over dough to decorate the top of your pie. I sprinkle a bit of sugar on the top crust and cover the edges with foil. Place pie on cookie sheet in preheated oven at 375. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil then bake at 350 for 25 minutes more or until golden brown. 


Serve Warm with whipped cream or Vanilla Bean Ice Cream! 
Yum! 


Enjoy~ 
How about you? Cake or Pie?

I'm linking this post to The Homestead Barn Hop !







17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! I'm thinking there will be a pie in my very near future...thank you for sharing! Btw~I'm posting as anonymous because blogger is being a stinker :)

Blessings, Kim (Jabez Farm)

Bonnie K said...

Sorry to hear you had a rough week! Glad you didn't lose any info. I make a pie similar to this called bumbleberry. It has raspberries and apples as well as rhubarb, blueberries, and strawberries. It is delicious. I hope you have a better week. I'm glad you aren't lost. I love your blog.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

This looks great. I can't eat the typical berry pie because I can't seem to digest seeds, except strawberry. This is a nice alternative!

LivingSoAbundantly said...

I am sorry to hear about what happened! I am a new follower and just joined your site. It's frustrating when things like that happen, but I hope that you are blessed beyond your highest expectation. *Eph. 3:20

Country Gal said...

Sorry to hear of your tuff week that bits what happened ! Your back now and thats what counts woohoo ! YUMMY oh my I can taste that pie MMMM ! great photos and recipe. Have a wonderful day !

Anonymous said...

this looks good...and so full of wonderful goodies...My husband would eat pie every day...my MIL makes absolutley the most beautiful delicious pies...so pretty you don't
want to cut them...mine...no so pretty ( yet ) I'm a rook too...:)

faith crochet by the sea

Anonymous said...

My family loves blueberry pie also. We'll take pie over cake any day. Your pictures are making my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

Oh YUM! I am a rookie pie maker too, trying to get up the courage to make my own crust. My sweet grandmother made the best pies ever, and I so wish she was here now to teach me how to make that tender, flaky, heavenly crust she used to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe. **Helena

Jenn said...

Delicious! I love the combination of berries and rhubarb.
Visiting from the barn hop.

The Urban Rabbit said...

That is a beautiful pie! There's nothing like getting the crust nice and flaky and the insides all sweet and gooey. Top with some homemade ice cream and I am sooo there! Followed from the barn hop!

Candy C. said...

Does that pie ever look good! I vote for pie too, especially in the summer with all the fresh fruit available!

Unknown said...

Pie!!! So much more interesting, full of character and flavor! Much more satisfying! Your pie pic at the top looks almost too pretty to eat. I said, "Almost!" Thanks for sharing this recipe, you can bet it will be given a try here at the homestead, and gobbled down in no time flat! I can smell it now....

Allison of A Farmgirl's View said...

I was so sad when I couldn't find you! So sorry you had such a rough time with your blog, but so glad it's all still here...The pie looks AMAZING!

Lace up and Walk said...

I'll take pie any day...especially with a little vanilla ice cream:) Your recipe sounds yummy.

Homesteading Chic said...

Sounds so yummy! :) I'm a pie girl!!!

Unknown said...

Made the pie and I'm sorry to report I believe there must be a missing ingredient. Mine came out like strawberry, blueberry, rhubarb soup inside of a pie shell. I followed the directions to a T. I'm thinking perhaps there needs to be some cornstarch or perhaps cook the berry mixture first to get it to gel a bit.
My result is edible but ridiculously messy and I'm sure glad I didn't take it to work. Eeks.

Unknown said...

Oh no ginger! I'm so sorry to hear your pie was ' soupy'! Please try it again but this time substitute 1/4 cup KRAFT Minute Tapioca. I've made this pie with flour and the tapioca with equal success... I hope you'll give it another try!
Thanks for letting me know, and I'm glad you didn't take it to work either! :)
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...