Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Little Herb Gardens ~


We are still several weeks away from the first day of spring and I am admittedly growing weary of the snow and cold here in New England! My gardening magazines and seed catalog's are luring me further into spring mode with each glorious photo of luscious flowers, plump juicy fruits and vegetables and fragrant herbs!

Lavender from my garden ~


I've had the book Little Herb Gardens on my shelf for several years. Somehow my little herb garden  has never sprouted. A new growing season is upon us and this year it's going to happen!
Little Herb Garden's is filled with simple instructions and inspiring photos designed for the novice herb Gardner ( me)!   It's broken down into two basic sections. Outdoor potted herbs and those that will do best in a small patch of ground. It also covers which herbs do best started from seed and seedlings. It touches briefly on medicinal uses of some herbs, exotic Basil's and features a few recipes such as Herb flavored oils and Herb Flavored Biscotti. What has finally motivated me to get going?
These simple instructions for A Cut Garden. 


 fresh Cilantro

 You can purchase herbs year-round at the supermarket.  Simply bring them home and place them in direct sunlight for an instant herb garden while you wait for spring! 
Display your garden on a windowsill or kitchen counter for easy access to cutting while you cook. 


fresh chives


 I chose vintage glass vases but I think pickle jars, or recycled tin cans would be cute for an urban farm fresh look. I love cilantro in guacamole, salsa, tabbouleh, and as a garnish on Pad Thai with a squeeze of lime.




  My favorite way to eat Chives is sprinkled on top of a big baked potato with sour cream, a dollop of butter, sea salt and pepper shredded cheese and fresh grilled bacon bits. Might as well add a nice grilled rib eye steak to that! 


I'll be planting some herbs by seed and will post when they begin to sprout! I'm off to bake a potato!




What will you grow this year? 


Happy Gardening! 
Deborah Jean













8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ll bet you just can’t wait for Spring….me too!!!!!!! I want to plant some lavender, however the last time I tried that it died so don’t know if I had the right mixture of plant food and soil….any suggestions???
Love you guy's,
Retts

Julia said...

Love the vases with the fresh herbs! I love Chive Blossoms in my salads, as well as Chive Blossom Vinegar. It is such a pretty color!

Mumsie said...

Love your blog! Am signed up to follow. :o) We seem to have a lot in common...including friends!
Fresh dill weed...and cilantro are some fav herbs for my salads!
Come visit over at the cottage anytime..Mumsie

Zuzana said...

I share your sentiment about herbs.;) I plant some from seeds and some from the ones I bring back from the stores.;)
I always grow lavender, chives, parsley, thyme, oregano and lemon balm.;)
I am hoping spring will come soon, but we have gotten new snow over night and thus winter is back in charge.;))
xoxo

Leslie said...

We have our house on the market so I probably will not do much, but one of the saddest things about possibly moving is leaving behind my perennials...some divided and shared by my mom and my friends. I am praying the Lord will give us a home with an interesting yard.

My rosemary seems to have made it through two bad ice storms. It is outside and I have still been snipping and using it. It isn't quite as strong as in warm weather, but still good.

Unknown said...

Leslie,
I've left behind a cherished garden before as well so I feel your pain!it was our first garden in our first home together.
I'll hold good thoughts that you will have another patch of your own to garden in!
Deb

Faith said...

Ahhhh the spring garden..my thoughts too are turning to the little seeds I will so hopefully and lovingly plant to be put into the earth for bunty...I just posted today about the garden..we are going to have a raised bed this year, and this year Basil, does Parsley come back? Lavender would be wonderful but how? I bought some one year and then didn't have the know how to dry them..Garlic in the fall...had good luck with that fall before last. I'll look into the book you spoke of...thinking spring today, the colors here today, gray/white..and it is cold....

Faith said...

PS..love the vintage glass you have the Herbs in...Cilantro...another good one, I love Cilantro...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...