Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cozy Colors For Your Nest

Stevie the Rebel Chick in full Molt
Is anyone still in serious nesting mode? Stevie has taken the concept " feather your nest " quite literally this year. I was worried if she kept loosing her feathers, I might not have to buy shavings for the hen hen house at all!  She was nearly bald when I took this shot of her a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to report she's grown new feathers, just in time for cooler weather ahead! Remember when I declared October National Painting Month? ( It's alright if you forgot... I won't hold it against ya). Like Stevie, I have taken my own nesting pretty serious here at Dandelion House too!  I've been chipping away at left over painting projects this fall. I've rolled over a new color leaf! I swapped out my deep apricot colored walls in the living room for a warm, cozy, creamy, off- white. I loved the rich, sunset glow of my previous color but we were all ready for a lighter look and something we could rely on to keep our spirits high while the sun is low over the winter months.
 My favorite part about painting is going from room to room  ( as the paint dries ) gathering pieces of furniture to trade out with.  It's as good as a trip to my local consignment shop only better because it's FREE!


This little gem of a suitcase was a gift from my sweet mother in law. Those are her initials  monogrammed above the handle. I love the earthy brown and the bright tan worn spots from years of banging around this earth. It's fun to think of her possibly as a young bride going off on her honeymoon with this suitcase packed with all the essentials of the day!


It looks right at home nestled underneath one of our Boz Scenes .


It sits on a stand similar to a luggage wrack with a strap for support. A wooden tray usually sits on top of it, but I'm using that in a new place now. Vintage and Antiques add warm patina and soul to a home, especially if you don't have the good fortune to live in an old farmhouse or antique home.


Best of all, I didn't get rid of my apricot all together. I love fall colors! They are my favorite to decorate with. I added new tangerine and paprika pillows to our ten year old sage green sofa and a new leaf patterned accent pillow to " my "  English wing chair covered in deep brick red velvet like fabric.  Orange and golden berries in an old Ball jar cinch my autumn nesting makover...
Now, I can start thinking about Thanksgiving!

How about you? What are your favorite cozy colors for fall decorating? 

Sharing with Tilly's Nest Down Home Blog Hop,  and Heidi's Simple Country Homemaker Hop!







10 comments:

Snooks said...

I seem to be doing the same here. Painting our living room downstairs. I also have a habit of moving furniture around. It's fun and gives rooms a different character. We live in a turn of the century home and except for a few new pieces our home is full of 75 plus year old antique pieces. The colors I use most all season are the wonderful gold, browns, deep reds and rusts of fall.

@ 3Beeze Homestead

Our Neck of the Woods said...

That suitcase is amazing! I love it under your Boz scenes photo. Looks so good!

Handy Andy said...

Pale Honey. That's the color being applied all around my house these days, as well as some variations--a little darker or a little lighter.

Painting covers the past, creates a fresh pallet for the future, allows us new beginnings--so much more than a thick liquid of a particular color. Blessings to you for your projects and regrouping. That's what life is all about! Looks good and feels good, doesn't it!

Bonnie K said...

Poor little chicken! The suitcase is nice, but your boat photo with that rich frame is just amazing. It brings so much warmth. Great job.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

We are on the same wave length :) I'm testing white colors in my kitchen. Will be changing from pear green to white.

That little suitcase is so perfect in that spot! Love it!

I like greens, golden yellows, browns and of course red for fall. I also enjoy pops of orange.

Joan@Just The Right Things said...

Suitcase is awesome! We have chicken feathers all over the barnyard. Two eggs from nine hens today. No bueno!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That is a very nice fabric on your pillow that sits on the red chair. I really love the colors and pattern. Perfect.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I like the same autumny colors.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love what you have done! The suitcase idea is great and I love your colors in the home. Ms. Creative!
Dolly

Unknown said...

Thank you so much ladies! It's a work in progress!!!
hugs!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...