Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SIMPLE Cozy Kitchen Door Window Treatment


Dear friends,
The joys of nesting have come home to roost here at Dandelion House! Last night while listening to the wind howl ( the prelude to an all night rain storm ) I put the petal to the metal on my grandmothers sewing machine and whipped up a cozy kitchen door window treatment.


After removing the tired, dirty old mini blind I gave the door a fresh coat of paint to match the walls and got to work. I made a valance with some left over fabric from our dining room curtains  and a cute little burlap cafe curtain for the bottom half of the window.

 It's easy to make a simple valance and cafe curtain without a pattern with basic sewing skills.

Here's how I made mine~

VALANCE:
  • measure the width of your window and times it by 2
  • measure the length you would like it to " drop " from the curtain rod and add three inches.
  • this will give you enough for a rod pocket at the top and a hem at the bottom
  • this valance has a finished 11 inch drop.
Magnetic Curtain Rod for metal doors

CAFE CURTAIN:
  • measure the width of your window and x it by two. This will be your fabric width.
  • measure the length from top to bottom adding two inches for a rod pocket and another inch all around for hemming the sides and bottom if you are not using burlap and leaving the edges fringed like I did here.

I sewed a rod pocket on the top of the burlap and left the sides and bottom fringed. The burlap let's the natural light in but also provides a bit of privacy.


 Here it is all together... I love how it cozies up our kitchen but our daughter says it looks like I hung a potato sack on our side door which is just the look I was going for without actually using a potato sack.


 I guess that makes us both right!  What are you sewing right now?
I'm sharing my kitchen door swag with Heidi's Homemaker Hop ,Tilly's Nest Down Home Hop # 3  and the Homestead Revival Barn Hop!
 Go visit them all for more homemaking/homesteading inspiration!




Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...