Thursday, January 10, 2013

Growing Zinnias



 Even though we have barely set foot into the new year I think it's the perfect time to get started on planning ahead for the next years cut flower gardens. Last year I grew two large beds of  Cut and Come again Zinnia and couldn't have been more pleased with how well they did. Now that I know how easy they are to grow I'm ready to branch out and grow some new varieties this year!
 I'm interested in heirloom varieties so I'll be ordering from

 
Pink Senorita Zinnia
Meteor Zinnia



I love large showy flowers... Why settle for tiny blooms when you can grow big beautiful blooms just as easily? The Meteor Zinnia grows up to 5 inches across. This one will surely be a show stopper in the garden and the vase. 

Lilac Emporer Cactus- Flowered Zinnia

I love the way the petals go this way and that on the Cactus flower variety. This one promises to be at least 6 inches across!

Orange King Zinnia
A butterfly and bee magnet! 

 Growing Zinnias

Zinnias don't really like being started early in the greenhouse... They much prefer being directly sewn in well drained organic soil in direct sun as soon as the danger of the last frost has passed. 
Once they have germinated and begin to grow keep an eye out for slugs and other leaf chewing insects who love to dine on fresh new greens! 
Treat any issues with Sluggo a non toxic Slug and Snail Bait. Safe for use around pets and children.
Once your zinnias are growing and blooming they only need a deep watering once a week.  To keep those bloom coming all summer and into the fall, feed every 2-3 weeks with any organic plant and flower food of your choice. I went with an organic plant food liquid that I could dilute and easily apply from a 2 gallon water jug.




Here's to the lovely Zinnia Flower! 

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...