Wednesday, May 15, 2013

BEST Summer Bulbs for Cutting


 You know you've got a serious case of gardenitus when you're planting bulbs in the rain.
That was me last Saturday afternoon. Now that most of the cool spring weather has passed I'm excited to get my summer bulbs in the ground. If you've been with me for a while now, you know that I planted upwards of 50 dahlias last year in my raised bed cut flower garden and they did not disappoint! Here in New England, now's the time to plant your summer bulbs! 
I'm planting my beloved dahlias again, and I'm trying some new bulbs too.
Gladiolus are an old fashioned favorite of mine so I made room for about 50 of those too! 
I'll be growing a solid red, white bloom plus a mixed bag of different colors. 


Look how pretty those red bulbs are! 



Oriental Lilly's are another favorite of mine for cutting. Do you see those holes on the leaves? BEWARE!
 The Asiatic beetle also loves these plants and will chew it down to the nub if you don't kill them first.
Dahlia Bed

I've got a few other garden surprises up my sleeve for this growing season so stay tuned! Things are about to get REAL COLORFUL around here!
I hope you'll make  some room for a few of these beautiful flowering summer bulbs in your garden this season! They are all perfect for cutting and will add a touch of drama to your house flower arrangements all season long.


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...