Nothing announces fall at our house more ( well, except for the smell of pumpkin pie baking in the oven) than the first baked Apple Crisp. My family loves this desert. This year I decided to forgo the boxed version of Apple Crisp ingredients and prepare it as close to organic as possible from scratch.
Country Choice ORGANIC Old Fashioned Oats.
Everything tastes better and is better for you if it says Old Fashioned right? Right! Now that we have that settled, here's the recipe which happens to be conveniently located on the back of the container. Since we live in cranberry country, and Ocean Spray's birthplace I always choose to add delicious Craisins to this dish!
Maple Apple CRANBERRY Oatmeal Crisp
6 cups peeled, thinly sliced organic apples *
( about 6-8 medium)
1/2 cup organic dried cranberries ( or raisins)
1/3 cup organic maple syrup *
1Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1tsp.organic vanilla extract
1tsp. organic ground cinnamon
1/4tsp. organic nutmeg
1 cup Country Choice Organic Oats
( Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3cup organic flour
1tsp. organic ground cinnamon
1tsp. fine sea salt
4Tbsp. ( 1/2 stick) organic butter, melted
* you can also substitute peaches or pears for the apples
You can purchase organic syrup or make your own.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square glass baking dish or a 9- inch deep dish pie plate.
See those oats? They are not supposed to be in there but I tossed them in before I realized they were measured out for the topping. It just tasted a bit more ...well...Oatie. ( that's not really a word is it ?)
2. In a large bowl toss the apple slices together with the dried cranberries, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread evenly in baking dish.
3. Prepare topping by mixing the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt together. Add the melted butter and stir until evenly moistened. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Remove from oven and let rest for 20 - 30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if you like.
Maple Apple CRANBERRY Oatmeal Crisp from our Honest Cottage Kitchen.
All present approved!
We used our homemade
* Dandelion House Simple Organic Maple Syrup
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups brown sugar
3 cups water
3 tea spoons maple extract
3 tea spoons vanilla extract
Pour water in a large pot and add all sugar. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat, stir and let cool for an hour or so.
After it has cooled you can add the flavored extract and serve.
Keep your syrup refrigerated.
*For organic syrup, just use all organic ingredients. It's that simple!
Give this easy from scratch recipe a try!
Your family will love you for it! I promise.
Debs, thanks for that, going shopping for all ingredients...I especially want to try the maple syrup - real good syrup is very expensive so I will try to make my own. Happy Fall...
Yum,this looks really delicious!
Post a Comment