Welcome to Tasty Tuesday at Dandelion House! Your go- to spot for trying something new and healthy each week in your homestead kitchen.
Depending on where you live, it just might be strawberry season already! Who doesn't LOVE a fresh picked, sweet and juicy strawberry right out of the patch? Strawberries do taste best at room temperature but if you bake or cook with them, you must try Dolly's FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE!
Before you click over to Dolly is Cooking for the full recipe ( and more delicious southern fried recipes) read Dolly's hints below for picking the best strawberries! How does she know? Well, she worked on a Strawberry Farm of course!
*** Hints for picking the best strawberries***
When your local berry field opensIf you are like me excited to eat some go pick some to eat and enjoy that first real berry taste
1. Wait about 2 weeks then go and pick more they will be sweeter, providing the weather is warm.
2. If you are going to make jam wait until they are very ripe and sweet.
3. Do not pick if the nights are very cold~your berries will be bitter not very sweet
*When the nights are warm and there is plenty of sun then go pick!
4. Do not wash or cap your berries until you go to use them.
5. Refrigerate them dirty...If you have a few not quite ripe leave them out on counter overnight...
6. Freeze your berries washed drained on paper towels. Place on a baking sheet not touching first freeze, then place those berries in a freezer bag for making jam, or using in baking.
*No they will not taste like a fresh berry when taken out of the freezer I don't care who tells you that.
7. You may prepare berries for freezing to make shortcakes over the winter in this way with room temperature strawberries.
a. wash and slice
b. Keeping on counter still at room temp. add sugar, stir often to dissolve the sugar, They will make their own syrup. When you have the syrup you need in them, usually within an hour place in freezer bags and freeze.
Dip into The Farmgirl Friday Recipe Box when you're looking for an old fashioned favorite or a home- cooked meal made from scratch with love. You'll find recipes from the best homestead kitchens, inspiration for setting a beautiful table with all the charm of a farmhouse kitchen PLUS tips for stocking and organizing your pantry. 601 now following!
* All recipes featured here have been submitted to the ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House
That looks sooooo delicious. I am going to hop over to see the recipe !!
Have a great day.
I love making strawberry syrup. Ours aren't ripe yet. But I am ready for when they are.
Oh my that looks YUMMY ! My mum had fresh strawberry's from our garden and home made cream when I lived on the farm ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !
Post a Comment