Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Perfect Pairing~ butterflies and zinnias

Painted Lady
No one was more surprised than I was when the monarch's, painted ladies and swallowtails started swarming our zinnia patch once they were in full bloom! I planted them for the soul purpose of cutting not knowing they would provide an all you can eat buffet for the butterflies this summer. What a joy it is watching them them flit and flutter from stem to stem.

Monarch
  I've managed to capture a few in action this week between the raindrops! They don't seem to mind   me ( the BIG shutter- fly ) stocking them for the perfect pose!

Painted Lady
 Sometimes they even cooperate!


Yet another PAINTED LADY
 Usually the butterfly traffic in our yard has slowed way down by this time of year, because the Butterfly Bush and Cone-flower in my perennial garden are well past their peak blooming time, but this year the ZINNIA DINER is open for business for a couple of more weeks I hope!

Choco Sun Sunflower   
and a Great Spangled Fritillary Butterfly






 This butterfly ( name unknown ) is unique. I've only seen it once! Another garden mystery to be solved!

* Thank you Lisa Lynn for helping us find the name of this beauty!


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...