Thursday, July 25, 2013

Feed Them and They Will Bloom


 BIG beautiful BLOOMS don't just happen, jus like healthy, well behaved children don't just happen. Both take constant LOVE,  nurturing and feeding if you expect to get healthy results.  

 It's feeding time for all the annual cut flowers at Dandelion House. The zinnias, dahlias, gladiolus and sunflowers are putting on their first flower faces as a result of all the loving care they've had since being planted in the late spring. If I want more beautiful, BRILLIANT BLOOMS I've got to feed them from here on out, at a minimum, every 2- 3 weeks.


I used Whitney Farms Organic Plant Food Liquid Concentrate last season and was very satisfied with the results. Not a paid plug here, just look at my top photo!
That bucket of blooms is from late August 2012.

GroundWorks Watering Can ( Plastic)
Simply pour one half cup of fertilizer into a 2 gallon watering can and fill it with water then pour around the base of each plant trying to stay off of the leaves if at all possible.



2 gallons will feed about 20 square feet. I prefer this method for smaller garden areas because it gives me the control I want and I know my plants will pay it forward from summer until the first frost. 





First Dahlia Blossom of 2013!

Do you feed your flowers and veggies organically? 
What method do you find most successful for YOUR garden?


6 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Beautiful! So glad you shared your tips, you are one great gardener!

Unknown said...

I just wish I could grow roses like you Dolly! I think you've got an in with the rose Gods!!!

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos and beautiful blooms ! Hard work but it pays back in the end ! Cooler temps have been here for a day or two and I am loving it ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

Unknown said...

Same here Elaine... It's only in the 60's! Brrr... but a nice break from the high humidity we've been having...thanks for the visit! :) Enjoy your evening!
Deb

Libby said...

You're definitely right that having a great garden takes some work. I'm trying my hand at my first raised bed garden and it sure is a lot of work feeding the plants so that they can feed me, plus keeping away all the little buggers that want to attack my plants. I've been using Plant-tone fertilizer and Epsom salts and hoping for the best. :-)

I know I don't always comment, but I do read your blog. I wanted to know if you would mind guest posting on my blog? I need to take a blog sabbatical of sorts and would love it if you're willing to share or reshare some gardening knowledge on my blog. I'm going to have a post about guest posting go live on Saturday.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Libby,
It sure is! Good for you for having your first raised bed. Gardening is work, but well worth it, right? I am honored to be asked to guest post for you! Thank you Libby...
email me at dboz4@comcast.net and we can talk more!
Thanks so much!
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...