Thursday, October 31, 2013

Beggar's Night



Happy All Hallow's Eve... or Beggar's Night as it's referred to here in Massachusetts! 
It is said that All Hallow's Eve was originally a Celtic tradition that celebrated the end of Harvest Season and arrival of Old Man Winter with a festival!  A time to prepare for the darker, longer days ahead. 
We homemakers know that feeling all to well...October isn't just for trick or treating! It's the month we spend clearing the cobwebs INSIDE! We freshen linens and bedding, stock the pantry, clean out the frig, empty closets and make sure everyone has appropriate winter wear. Boots, coats, hats and gloves come out for inspection and we bring out the throws for cuddling under on family movie night! I LOVE this time of year don't you? 
Our teens no longer trick or treat. Now a  day's they gather at friends houses to " party " with candy and Chinese take out. As for me, I dusted off my favorite witches hat and I'm ready for the neighborhood ghosts and goblins.  I'm expecting a lot of zombies at our door this year inspired by the Walking Dead Series and video games.
Be safe and enjoy this very special time of year when home becomes  your winter haven once gain. 
What  special things do you do to cozy things up for the winter at your house?

 For a more in depth HALLOWEEN history account visit this fun link!


6 comments:

Michelle said...

We do a trucker treat in town, so I don't get a lot of kids. I still buy candy just in case. If nothing else I have plenty of candy to snack on. LOL

Country Gal said...

I have heard that before about the Celtic tradition of beggars night . No kids trick or treating here in our village valley as there are mostly Mennonites here and they do not celebrate Halloween . Yup clearing out the cobwebs indeed in this month of October . I dig out the winter woolies ,hats, scarves mitts , blankets and comforters wash them all up ready for the cold , start making slow cooker meals more and get the wood stove hot chocolate and cups of tea on the go , cuddle up with our Miggs and watch our TV shows ,movies or get into a good book ! Happy Halloween to you all ! P.S Miggs gets a treat if she does a trick or to for us lol

Faith said...

I have one at home who still trick or treats, and the other at 17 wishes he could go figure. I love the cozy up weather, great for snugglin up with a hook n some yarn, I've got a project...:) and I've done
some practicing with my croissants from scratch. Tonight's supper ham and bean soup home made and some croissants and sugar cookies cut out like punkins...I love this time of year. have fun with your little zombies....

Anonymous said...

Actually, Samhain is the Celtic holiday. Beggar's Night, which is a great way to call All Hallow's Eve is Christian from a time when apprentices and other very poor people would go from home to home on All Hallow's Eve (night before All Saints) and beg for soul cakes with promises to pray for the person's dear departed on All Souls.

It's likely because of the Protestant revolution that the real source of trick or treating has become confused with the darker Celtic ideas.

Paula

Candy C. said...

Happy Halloween to you guys! I love this time of year, getting out the sweaters and flannel jammies, cooking soups and stews and having a fire in the evening. :)

Unknown said...

We live in the country, 6.5 miles from the city, so won't see any trick or treaters here, other than our 2 sweet little neighbor girls from down the road. I had fun doing up special treat bags for them. It's a cooler evening and I am baking cookies. Love being cozy in my new kitchen and fillin the oven with love! Home baked!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...