Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Nightstands in Duck Egg Blue

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
 The sun is out, the sky is blue. What's a girl to do? PAINT! 
With the weather being so clear and dry right now along the eastern seaboard I love to spend the day outside painting in the fresh air. I've had a couple of nightstands that have been in line for a re-do for my booth and I'm happy to report  I can finally check them off my list today! 

When I'm looking for furniture to re-fresh I always try to find pieces that don't need much repair or that I like the look of " as is ". I lucked out when I came across TWO Basset ( Made in the USA) nightstands at my favorite hunting spot. I paid 9.99 each! A steal!!!

The old finish was a medium stained oak.
Just look at the new and improved shabby, rustic, french finish! 
The secret to my weathered look is to have a light hand when painting. 
1) Dip your brush into the paint but don't soak it.
2) Brush this way and that so your  brush marks are going in different directions.
3) Try and leave some of the underlying wood tones UN-painted so they show through, that way you'll have less to remove when distressing.
4) You can remove chalk paint as you paint with a damp cloth or wait for it to dry ( about half an hour ) and sand until you like the results.

 Beautifully distressed and ready for a new home!

I kept the aged brass hardware but I think something glass, or with some sparkle would be elegant too! 


How do you like my little leg? I didn't use any relief ( chap stick or petroleum jelly ) underneath the paint. I simply rubbed it off once it was dry with medium grit sandpaper.  It worked like a charm. I followed up with ASCP Clear Wax.

I always have the best of intentions when it comes to placing my finds in my booth for sale. I'm gonna need will power to let these beauties go! They match my bedroom comforter perfectly! 

What's keeping you busy during these glorious fall days?

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Pretty! I am painting a little desk with chalk paint. The first for me and with a different brand. I will share after I finish it up. I do understand why everyone is using it though, it sure covers things nicely. Although I will probably not distress as much as most of you or wax this piece, although I have waxed painted furniture in the past.

camp and cottage living said...

Gorgeous!
I put a similar table in my yard sale,
Now I'm so glad it didn't sale !

Country Gal said...

They are wonderful . Thanks for sharing ! Have a good week !

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Our local used furniture shop- cute stuff they refurbish- is giving lessons in chalk painting. Cute.

Farmlife Chick said...

Love it!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

This looks beautiful!
I love the color and just the right amount of distressing.
I painted my kitchen cabinets almost a year ago. Black. In a year, they have had a little bit of knocking around...was thinking I should go ahead and distress them. Can you do this after putting the wax on there?
Also--because they are black, it is like a black hole over there. I think the distressing will detail the relief in the simple trim and show some highs and lows...making it have a little bit more interest and appeal.
Let me know what you think about distress after the wax...Thanks! Pat

Unknown said...

Hi Pat! Yes, you can distress over wax. Try a fine grit sandpaper first and if you have to work too hard at it to remove the wax to get to the paint underneath then try a courser grit.. gradually working up to one that makes light work of the task at hand. I love distressing and I especially love it on black... Have fun and be sure to post when you're done!

Anonymous said...

It is very nice collection for home improvement about Duck Egg Designs. thanks for shearing this blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...