Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lucy Ricardo Comes to Dandelion House


PhotoBucket
Has anyone seen Ethel?  I sure could have used her last week during my nesting frenzy!  I was home alone, ( nice ) and I had about  half an hour before I needed to start getting ready for a dinner date with my hubby for our 21st Anniversary. That's when Lucy arrived with a great idea! Naturally, I was all ears. Ya see, I've been rearranging furniture, switching out lampshades, vacuuming up hairballs and I have this antique chair that's been needing some love for oh, I don't know... a hundred years or so...
1920's Victorian Parlor Chair
 This is exactly how I found it eight years ago at the yard sale where I bought it for $35.00( minus the pillow in the seat)  I actually sit in this chair if I'm having a private phone call.


  Based on today's decorating trend of torn and tortured it doesn't even  need any love because this look is all the rage.  I'm seeing chairs like this in design magazines and blogs everywhere.


  But, I digress... So Lucy comes in and says, " hey, why don't you bring that chair down into the dining room where you can keep your eyes on it and maybe you'll get inspired for how you'd like to recover it. "  "Sounds good to me" I say, and off I go to try and bring this chair downstairs all by myself. What was I thinking?  Things were going fine until I hit the third stair from the top. My plan was to position it on its side and slide it down the stairs without having to lift it over my head and carry it down. Sounds simple enough. Then one leg got stuck under the banister and the top of the chair got wedged against the wall preventing any movement what so ever. Meanwhile, time's a ticking and I still need to shower and change to be on time for dinner. Not only am I a sweaty mess from trying to  wriggle and pry my chair free from the stairway, but I had  just  come in from mowing the the lawn so I had grass stuck to my legs!  There's no way I could climb over ( believe me I tried )  the chair to get to our only bathroom with a shower and my closet so I could get ready.
 That's when I realized I was having a LUCY MOMENT! I had to meet my hubby in 45 minutes for a 6:00 dinner reservation! I called our daughter who was walking home from the bus stop and she came running to my rescue. After she scolded me for trying to move the chair by myself she slid through an opening between the chair and the wall to get upstairs so she could fetch me a washcloth, towel , shampoo and my outfit.! Leaving the chair dilemma behind me temporarily I got ready for my date  ' camp style ' in our half bath down stairs. Romantic, I know. I don't have a photo to show you of it stuck because I was in a rush remember... But, you can bet I was thinking about it the whole time!

I made it on time and we had a lovely dinner together. We caught up on our day. He told me about the massage he just had and how it really relieved the stiffness in his upper back and then I told him that Lucy Ricardo came to visit...Uh huh. When we got home my hubby had to remove the banister to get the chair UN stuck then he promptly carried it back to the bedroom where it sits today.
 Oh well, at least I got the cobwebs vacuumed up underneath it!



 Nesting season is in full swing sisters and Lucy Ricardo is on the loose!
If she comes to YOUR house without Ethel, do NOT let her in!

As for the future of this chair... Shall she be a simple beauty wearing  an understated textured fabric for a more modern look or should she stay true to her original colors and be an elegant beauty adorned in plush jewel toned velvet?

I'm sharing this post with Tilly's Nest Down Home Blog Hop! 
go check it out! 





17 comments:

Junebug said...

I must admit you had me chuckling for I have this imagine in my head that doesn't require any photos! I will be sure and lock the door on Lucy but unfortunately she is a sneaky one and can get in and do her up most "help" with me!

Thanks for the chuckle!
PS I'm headed to Luscher Farm this weekend, want to come along?

Unknown said...

Hi Junebug! Oh, I'd love to go! Will you please say hello to Amber and Patti for me at the Farmmade Booth... Oh, will you be blogging about it? I'd love to see what it looks like! Have fun tomorrow! It looks like a lovely place...

Tilly's Nest said...

Oh Deb! I could not help but picture you through all of this! I'll be your Ethel any day my friend! All you have to do is ask :)

Unknown said...

See what you started!!! LOL!!!!!! I REALLY could have used your help that day!

Country Gal said...

I'm with Junebug on this , I was giggling through this post imagining , sorry ! I am glad you made it for your dinner date , by the way Happy Anniversary ! I think the chair will look lovely no matter what you decide to do with it ! Have a great day !

Unknown said...

Well, it was pretty funny! Thanks for the anniversary wishes and the note as always! enjoy the day!

Lisa Lynn said...

Don't we all have those moments? I have another turkey tale to tell one of these days...when I stop fuming at the turkeys for causing my predicament. Let's just say that I won't mind eating them for Thanksgiving ;-)

I'm glad you got unstuck and all was well!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa Lynn,
We sure do! LOL thanks for the note! :)

Brenda said...

Oh I love Lucy, send her my way. If she would help me move some furniture around I would not mind the Lucy moments at all. It's always a good story later and a great laugh.

Nicki said...

What a hoot, Debbie! I TOTALLY understand those Lucy moments! In fact, sometimes my kids will say to me, "Luuuuucy....!" like Ricky did. As for the chair, it will look wonderful no matter how you do it, but I do think those stripes are mighty pretty!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Funny! I do love the chair. I can see why you would want it downstairs.

Debbie said...

I love your Lucy moment. We all have those times. I like your chair. I would recover it, but of course, it is up to you. smile.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love it! She visits me quite often too! That chair is special too. Thanks for sharing this fun story, Deb, and Happy Anniversary.

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary! The chair is beautiful! I love that style...but I don't think it would go well with 3 active kids! LOL Thanks for stopping by Our Side!

Greg and Donna said...

Reminds me of trying to move our oversized sofa (falling apart) out of the living room. We ended up having to go through the sliding door, onto the porch, where it then got covered with a tarp during Hurricane Isaac. The following weekend we had our sons take it out the unscreened window on the porch (screen busted and was waiting for repair), haul it through our backyard and put into our garage ~ for seating while playing pool (no cars allowed in there). But, its in its new home, screen is repaired, tarp is put up, and new sofa in living room. Lucy was definitely here!

I love the chair! I think a jewel toned fabric would be great ~ just recover it in the bedroom!

A Daughter of the King said...

I'm glad you didn't have time to take a picture because the word picture you painted was perfect, Lucy. I'm also glad that you were not hurt. Happy 21st anniversary!
~Love,
Ethel and Fred

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Happy Anniversary! There must be something going around because I have had more than my fair share of those "Lucy moments" lately. That is a lovely chair and I look forward to seeing it after you work your magic. You are the best re-purposing artist I know of. I am so glad you did not hurt yourself...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...