Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SIMPLE Cozy Kitchen Door Window Treatment


Dear friends,
The joys of nesting have come home to roost here at Dandelion House! Last night while listening to the wind howl ( the prelude to an all night rain storm ) I put the petal to the metal on my grandmothers sewing machine and whipped up a cozy kitchen door window treatment.


After removing the tired, dirty old mini blind I gave the door a fresh coat of paint to match the walls and got to work. I made a valance with some left over fabric from our dining room curtains  and a cute little burlap cafe curtain for the bottom half of the window.

 It's easy to make a simple valance and cafe curtain without a pattern with basic sewing skills.

Here's how I made mine~

VALANCE:
  • measure the width of your window and times it by 2
  • measure the length you would like it to " drop " from the curtain rod and add three inches.
  • this will give you enough for a rod pocket at the top and a hem at the bottom
  • this valance has a finished 11 inch drop.
Magnetic Curtain Rod for metal doors

CAFE CURTAIN:
  • measure the width of your window and x it by two. This will be your fabric width.
  • measure the length from top to bottom adding two inches for a rod pocket and another inch all around for hemming the sides and bottom if you are not using burlap and leaving the edges fringed like I did here.

I sewed a rod pocket on the top of the burlap and left the sides and bottom fringed. The burlap let's the natural light in but also provides a bit of privacy.


 Here it is all together... I love how it cozies up our kitchen but our daughter says it looks like I hung a potato sack on our side door which is just the look I was going for without actually using a potato sack.


 I guess that makes us both right!  What are you sewing right now?
I'm sharing my kitchen door swag with Heidi's Homemaker Hop ,Tilly's Nest Down Home Hop # 3  and the Homestead Revival Barn Hop!
 Go visit them all for more homemaking/homesteading inspiration!




25 comments:

Kristi said...

I need to get my sewing machine out. I want to make some more rag quilts.

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Deb, that is cute!
I have to go to Home Depot to get that rod. We have lived here since 2006 and I have yet to find one to hang a curtain on my back door. Thank you for the inspiration! Still cleaning out storage here but found some wonderful quilting, sewing craft books that were hidden for years can't wait to update and sew....Have a great week!

Junebug said...

Funny you ask what I am sewing now. Let's start with first project, a Mermaid costume for my Grand daughter. I got informed it must be able to get wet in the swimming pool! I have a grannie flannel night gown cut out for my sister, a red & black buffalo check flannel skirt for me is almost done. I want to wear it with a jean jacket & boots. Plus hooded terry cloth baby towels I make for gifts and also to sell in my sister's booth. I think my sewing machines is also humming! Shhhh, don't tell anyone about the many unfinished projects stashed!

PS - Love the fabric of the valance and the over all look of the door, sweet!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh! that's so cute! I love it. Are those magnetic curtain rods?
I'm so wanting to do something like this on my front door...It is a long window; though, I think it would still look cute with a longer bottom! You never know. I just may try it.
Thanks for showing it. I'm inspired, Pat

Anonymous said...

Love the colors - Must admit not much of a sewer but need to do something new in the kitchen. Hymm time to start looking at fabrics I guess. -Carole

Country Gal said...

I love them ! I have the same thing magnetic rod holders on my doors ! I to need to replace my old curtains on my doors ! Thanks for the awesome tips ! I to am not much of a sewer but do have a machine , I am slowly starting to get into making aprons and curtains and what ever I can ! guess getting older and being retired and a home maker does that lol
My mum was a master sewer as she also was a seamstress but I never picked that up from her for shame . Have a great day !

Brenda said...

Cute!! Love how it looks. I love adding new touches in the house like this, just give you a little something different to set your eyes on during the normal day doesn't it? Hope you are having a great week!

Bonnie K said...

I love it. Normally I wouldn't be partial to the top print, but the bottom balances it out perfectly. I have a quilt waiting in its basket calling my name.

Unknown said...

Thanks 4 B's! I can picture you quilting in your cozy cabin this winter! :)

Unknown said...

You said it Brenda,I love having something different to ' set my eyes on " Tis the season for inside changes; even small ones make such a difference!

Unknown said...

Those magnetic rods just might be the best invention since sliced bread! So easy to use! Have fun sewing this fall and winter.. being older and retired is a lovely season for getting to those things that have been left simmerin' on the back burner!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your fabric search! If you don't sew, there's always stitch witchery... for now sew projects!

Unknown said...

Yes Pat, they are magnetic curtain rods! They work like a charm...Have fun making your window treatment!

Unknown said...

Howdy Junebug! Well, you've got your hands full with sewing projects don't you! They all sound fun and cute...Oh, you have unfinished projects stashed too? LOL! Thanks for the note!

Unknown said...

Hi Dolly! We moved into our house ten years ago. A friend nudged me to get going on a valance so I got busy! Have fun!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Krisit,
Rag quilts are very cool! You must have quite a stash of fabric waiting for you!

Tilly's Nest said...

Oh! it turned out perfectly! I can' wait to visit the finished room! Thank you for linking up to the blog hop today.~Melissa

Unknown said...

Thank you Melissa! Your hop is fun!:)

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I love the valance and cafe burlap curtains Deb. It's lovely. I have a very similar metal door and never thought about curtains or magnetic rods to glam it up. Thanks for the idea Deb. I'm going to work on this next month and I'll send you a picture when I'm done.

Unknown said...

Well, thank you Heidi! Glad you like it and are inspired to " glam ' up your kitchen door too! I'm really enjoying the warm, homey feeling it's giving off both coming and going! I'll look forward to your door makeover! Happy Farmgirl Friday!

Storefront Installation Brooklyn said...

You are spectacular at sewing! You are also quite the interior decorator, could I hire you possibly? Hahaha. Have a great weekend!

-Solomon Berkovitch

Unknown said...

Thanks Soloman!

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

Stopping by from Barn Hop! I bought that same flower print to cover my kitchen chairs over a year ago, then we moved, it still hasn't happened lol! Thanks for making me think about it... and I love burlap too!

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for the visit... That's funny about your chairs.. I still have fabric for other projects too! Happy Fall!

Norbert Floth said...

With valances, keeping a cozy atmosphere is never a problem, simply because you call the shots with whatever fabric you want to use. And nothing describes feeling at home more than being free, right? Even if some can’t see the purpose of a valance because of its size, it’s still a great window treatment for the reason that it’s never a nuisance. It doesn’t block any view! Nice combination, by the way. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...