Monday, September 10, 2012

With Her Own Two Hands


You know the old saying, " If you want something done right, let your mother do it!" Oh, wait that's not it. Well, anyway my mom came for a visit over the weekend to get some Grammy love and to gather more inspiration for her flower paintings. I still have an abundance of blooms to spare so we scooted out to the garden where she snipped to her hearts content. Having fresh flowers is a summer ritual she has gotten very used SPOILED to. 
Just one of the many joys of growing a cut flower garden is being able to share the beauty!  
 

  It's only early September and much too early for pumpkins if you ask me. If you still have flowers in your garden why not consider bringing a simple back to school bouquet for your child's teacher or child care provider, coach, dance instructor etc. Fresh, local flowers are always a good gift idea!

 I'm looking forward to incorporating more dried seed pods and faded foliage into my fall arrangements but the cut flower garden is still beaming with bright colors.  Now, now, I warned you we'd be in ' house flowers' for a while so no complaining...Ya hear? :) You have my permission to click away right here if you just can't stand another flower photo!

 Here's a peak at what's still in bloom in the cutting garden! 

The dahlias~












Most of the dahlias I planted get 4-5 feet tall and become very top heavy while in the heavy bloom stage ( which is mid August until the first frost ) I've had to stake them several times each time using something taller and stronger. I started with bamboo stakes, but had to move up to 1x1 wooden stakes. I use natural jute twine to tie them up with.. It's gentle on the stocks and biodegradable.

Zinnia
The Zinnia beds are still bursting with blooms too!


And the winged visitors have slowed down. This is the only Monarch I've seen in a few days.


Mom had plenty to choose from as you can see...! Watching the enjoyment she got while creating her own bouquet gave me a couple of ideas for next years garden.



 I think I'll open the garden one day a week for a Cut and Carry Bouquet Day!
Wanna come?
I'm sharing this garden post with Heidi's Country Garden friends! 









17 comments:

Bonnie K said...

You have inspired me to plant more seed flowers. I've always loved bachelor buttons, love in the mist, and larkspur. Next year I will add them and your zinnias to my garden! Thanks.

Junebug said...

Oh, I'll be right over for a cut and carry bouquet! Oh dang, you mean I have to fly? Okay so I won't be right over but I sure would if I could! Do you think Oregon might be a little far? Your cut flower garden is fabulous! I'm planning on more for next year myself! Mom's bouquet is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Yay for you 4 B's! You'll be amazed at how attached you get to your little seedlings! I look forward to watching your new gardens grow next year! Won't that be fun?

Unknown said...

Hi Junebug! Oregon is just the other side of the country! Not too far at all...:) Thanks so much for the kind words and happy planning for next year!

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Hi Deb,
I love each and every image. You are such a talented photographer. Your dahlias are real show stoppers too. You've inspired me. Next year I will have a small cut flower garden too so I can stop drooling over yours a little. lol. Have a great week.

Heidi

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Your flowers are so nice! Ours are struggling but the zinnias have still come through! I'd like to have an entire bed of them like you do.

Robyn said...

Deborah, your flowers are just beautiful! All your hard spring work paid off and your dreams are blooming before your eyes!

Faith said...

your garden looks fresh as a daisy...green and healthy, and bursting with color. I look at my little Zinnias in my flower "bed" each day, they give me such joy...and are so colorful...I did cut a few to give to my MIL as a bouquet for her birthday...I think I'll leave them in the garden a wee while longer...and bring them in before the frost...

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Heidi! Glad you enjoyed the images...and I look forward to watching your flower patch grow next year! :)

Unknown said...

I've been amazed at how sturdy the zinnias are... they hardly require any upkeep and they really do perform! You've got all fall and winter to plan your dream cut flower patch! :) Thanks for the note!

Unknown said...

Hello Robyn,
Thanks so much... I sure have enjoyed sharing them with my readers in hopes everyone will make some more room for cut flowers next year!
" your dreams are blooming before your eyes" ...I LOVE THAT! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Faith! I bet your ' bed ' of zinnias bring you much joy. The colors are almost neon in the cut and come again variety... just amazing! I'm feeling the urge to rush out and cut a lot of what I have left too... our temps have really dropped the last two days! Well, it's inevitable I suppose... Thanks for the visit!

A Daughter of the King said...

Your gardens and your blog are delightful. I am blessed every time I visit!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoy them!

Lisa Lynn said...

How could anyone get tired of the flower pictures? In a few months we'll be hungry for them :)
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa Lynn! You are so right... I have a feeling come January I'll be digging them out to share again to get us all going for spring! Thank you for the note!

Debbie said...

I love your flower beds. As I am getting older I am starting to consider raised beds. smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...